Subject Matter

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Feathering the Nest: The Kitchen Re-Organization (Part One)


Is your kitchen organized to it most useful potential?  No?  Mine either.  I have lived in my home for four years now and I am just getting around to organizing my kitchen.  This photo shows the good the bad and the ugly.  I have a small yet convenient kitchen.  I  have tall ceilings so my cabinets have an extra shelf in them.  I need a ladder to get to them but they are there just the same.  I moved in on Christmas Day 2005.  I let my kids open their gifts and I even allowed them to eat a little breakfast then it was a mad scramble to load the cars and trucks and get to moving.  I had one week off from work so I only had a small window to get moved in and living before that Monday morning when a new life began.  I was downsizing.  I was divorced with two teenagers and didn't need the three story house we were living in so I moved to a garden home.  I was thinking about retirement years!!!! I was looking toward that empty nest when the responsibility of yard work and house work would be mine alone and climbing stairs and cutting grass on the side of a steep hill wasn't what I had in mind.  So I found this really cute small garden home that had a lot of potential.  It was new and I got to watch it grow from the ground up.  It was like having a baby.  You knew that among all the pieces that were floating around something beautiful would emerge.  I checked on the progress daily, much to the annoyance of the people working on my home.  The guys who were building my home didn't speak much English, so I just smiled alot and nodded my head at the progress, and looked forward to the day I would move in.  Now... four years later it is time to make it more convenient to living.  I now have the empty nest and the Man of my Dreams (aka: MOMD)  so it is time to start living. I find myself cooking daily.  When I had nothing but teenagers living here I didn't cook much.  No one was here long enough to eat.  I love to cook but it is much more enjoyable to cook for someone.  Now MOMD loves my cooking. I have gained at least 20lbs. since we met because I am a good cook  and we eat well.  Back to the purpose at hand.  My kitchen is not convenient to cooking.  I don't have a very large work area and finding everything I need, to measure and mix in, is a problem because when I find it, twenty things come tumbling down from the cabinet that I have to put back, and I can't find where I stashed things that I need that  I haven't used in a while.  So... Here we are!  Things are stashed and a mess and I am going to straighten them out!
I am going to begin with the upper cabinets.  I have spent the last several weeks planning where to move things to make them more convenient to cooking and cleaning up.  Unloading the dishwasher is a hassle because I have to handle things several times before putting them away due to lack of order.  In the photo above, I have the cabinets open so that you can see what a mess they are in.  The glassware is above the dishwasher and that is something we use a lot of, and putting them away requires too many steps.  The glasses have to be removed from the dishwasher, then stacked on the counter, if it is cleared off, then close the dishwasher and put them away in the cabinet.  Too much trouble.  
So.......

 I moved them to the cabinet next to the refrigerator and put my spices and oils in the cabinet my glasses were in!  

Much better!  It is amazing how much better you feel When things are more in order!

That is all we're going to get done today.  The rest of life has to go on.  Check back for more updates!  I want to encourage you to organize something in your life today.  It doesn't have to be a large undertaking maybe something as small as a drawer or your purse (oops, I said no large undertaking!)  But you will find a little peace and happiness when you know that at least a little corner of your world is organized!  Share with me what you organize.  I would love to see photos.  I am always looking for ideas to improve some area of my life.  Please leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...